Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Challenges of Leadership: Part III

The Power of Empowerment!
How do you help people feel empowered enough to take on leadership roles? How do you personally transform yourself into a stronger, more inspiring leader? How do you figure out what you can contribute to society that no one else can?

After my last blog post, my good friend Tom posed this first question to me and it’s an important question to answer...to understand how to transform ourselves into leaders, figure out what we can uniquely contribute, and how to empower others to do the same. So, I spent some time thinking, reading, and reflecting on these questions…

Considering I just finished a two-month leadership training program with the Acumen Fund, you would think the answers were abounding, but I still struggled with how to answer the question concisely. I started with contemplating my own personal leadership style (it’s crucial to know your own strengths and weaknesses) and this is how it unfolded…

.....Riding my bike through the winding, dusty roads of Hampi, a gorgeous terrain of rice fields and banana plantations as far as the eyes can see, decorated with a backdrop of ancient temples that convey amazing artistry and are nestled within rock formations that defy gravity and look like God’s personal sculptures, I pondered leadership (of course)! “I don’t want to be a LEADER!” I exclaimed, somewhat screaming at Wendy and Manasa. “Leadership implies followers and I don’t want anyone to follow me! I want people to walk beside me, to learn with me, to share and grow together…I want to empower people!”

A few moments later I took off feverishly riding my bike and Manasa shouted from behind “Don’t worry, you’re not leading us Brenda, you’re empowering us!” I chuckled. I recognized immediately the need to sometimes lead, and still, to sometimes be led. I recognized that sometimes leading was about showing the way (guiding), promoting advancement (setting benchmarks), and being enthusiastic (cheering others on!).....

And, it turns out, the answers to leadership, or better yet, empowerment, were all around me. So, from the guidance of those leaders in my life, and through conversations, readings and reflections, I identified five practices that I believe are crucial to becoming a leader and empowering others to do the same. It’s not by any means an exhaustive list or novel concepts, but just things to be reminded of.

1. Be Willing to Constantly Learn and to Give Back…
“The ones who will survive are those who are constantly learning, changing and adapting. A lot of people stop learning after they leave school. But you’ve got to read voraciously,”
said Sean Covey, Partner of FranklinCovey, an executive global solutions firm, in a recent interview posted in the India Times.

The “shelf-life” of knowledge is becoming increasingly shorter as technology enhances. In today’s workforce, it’s necessary to continuously re-engage in education and read, read, read! But school is not the only venue for knowledge. Think of who is in your network and leverage the talent around you. My philosophy to continuous learning is to regularly surround oneself with people much younger and much older! Those younger will energize and promote your creative drive. Those older will provide you with the wisdom of age.

"...Young people should not think about how much they get paid, or where they will be most successful. Instead, they should think about how best they can contribute to society and leave a lasting legacy.”

2. Find Time for Self-Reflection…
In October 2009, William Deresiewicz delivered a lecture to the plebe class at the United States Military Academy at West Point titled “Solitude and Leadership” -
http://www.theamericanscholar.org/solitude-and-leadership/ in which he makes the seemingly contradictory statement that “if you want others to follow you, learn to be alone with your thoughts”.

He states that we have a leadership crisis. We have become complacent, and thus, we have implicitly created technocrats and bureaucrats, people who are good at keeping the routine, people who know how to get things done but never question whether they’re worth doing in the first place. In other words, we have a shortage of visionaries, change-makers, non-conformists, and creative thinkers!

To process a true personal thought takes time, focus and concentration…multi-tasking actually inhibits and impairs this ability. And so, our overload of media (TV, radio, social media) distracts us from spending time asking ourselves the critical questions – What do I really believe? Am I doing the right things in my life? Am I happy? And to embrace the answers to these questions you must spend time in self-reflection, in solitude, alone with your thoughts.
“...you are the one who has to make the hard decisions. And at such moments, all you really have is yourself!”

3. Embrace Achievement…
In a recent blog post by Seth Godin he talks about “Three Ways to Help People Get Things Done”
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/01/three-ways-to-help-people-get-things-done.html. The first two ways are by tenacious bullying or by creating competition (how often do we see this!) – both can possibly be effective but only in the short-term.

However, the third and lasting method he suggests is called the open door approach. Set expectations of people (and yourself), assist when necessary (balanced management!), and then get out of the way and see the power of self-direction. Once people learn to embrace achievement they get hooked and will seek it over and over!

4. Build Trust…
The desire to succeed, achieve, and stand out in the crowd is inherent in human nature. But in a world where everything is quickly changing, progressing, moving, and accelerating, it is hard to be noticed, exceed and to lead. However, in a recent article by Vibhuti Jha, President of the Human Potential Project - “Leadership: Standing Out In the Crowd”
http://www.itsmyascent.com/candidate/faces/jsp/article.jsp;jsessionid=DD01ED6E4EEB8F4058CC25158D61E595.node1?index=3 – he states that our greatest asset is ourselves.

“In an otherwise dishonest world, you control only your own honesty, your own integrity and that could make you truly unique. Try building trust around your words, actions and responses and drive yourself to fulfilling the commitments.”

To build trust, he suggests the practice of asking anyone you are in a relationship with (partner, friend, employee, colleague, etc.) these questions, genuinely regarding their answers, and more importantly, doing follow up as to your progress. This establishes trust and integrity.
a. Is there anything I do that you do not like?
b. Is there anything I do that you like a lot?
c. If there was one thing that you do not want me to do anymore?
d. Is there anything you want me to do that I have not done so far?

5. Engage Positively!
How can I be more present, more mindful, more confident, more joyful and in general a more positive presence for those around me?

I have to admit, I plagiarized this question from a recent email discussion that I had with a fellow colleague (thanks Francisco!) about how to be a more inspiring leader. We agreed that one important aspect to staying positive is having regular, meaningful dialogue with peers who have similar goals and missions in life.

Another simple answer is to choose to be positive and engaged. Yes, it’s a choice! You may disagree, but it’s true. You can choose to be happy…mind-boggling I know! Science shows that continuous behavior forms habits (Take the 21/40/90 day challenge -
http://www.kalavati.org/change-of-habit.html). So make it a habit to be positive…read a daily affirmation, smile more, tell a joke and make laughing part of your day...and I promise you will be happier and your happiness will be infectious. Then watch how easy it is to lead!

**********************************************************
Check out Next Billion, http://www.nextbillion.net/, a blog for professionals about the connection between development and enterprise…Francisco Noguera is a Managing Editor (thanks for helping inspire this post!)
**********************************************************

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Brenda. I'll definitely reflect on your points this week and see where I can develop in those areas. - Christi Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I specially appreciate your definition on empowerment. It is to lead and be led and also to set up a system to create leaders. Look forward to more experiences. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete